Painting on Fabric: Pillow Embellishment How to (Post 2 of 2)

This is Post 2 of 2 in my Painting on Fabric for Pillows Series.  Yesterday I showed you how to Paint on Fabric with a stamp to make a cute little 'love' pillow.  Now I will show you how I made the pillow BELOW.

 I made this smaller pillow to go with my project titled: Custom Design a Pillow with String and Paint


 HOW TO MAKE THE FLOWER

 1. Spray paint the fabric, as in my string pillow project.  I used Krylon Spray Paint in Blue.



 2. Let dry and then cut into strips.  (Note: I did wash this fabric once it was dry.  I was just curious how it would hold up.  It was exactly the same texture and the color had not faded.)

I used a 6" width and I really do not know the length.  I leave it very long and then cut off the excess if I need to.

3. If you can see below, I zigzag the edges to prevent fraying.  You can also use pinking shears, but I do not have any.  I was bummed that I could not buy some shears for this project, so had to improvise.  I'm happy with the result!


 4.  Take your 6" fabric and fold it in 1/2 and then fold in 1/2 again.  Pick a spot on your fabric to begin stitching the long strip.  I wanted this flower in the corner so that is where I began.  Start at one end of your fabric, stitching along the inner edge to secure to your fabric.  You will be doing the outer edge of the fabric first, working your way to the center.  You can see above that I am also twisting the fabric as I'm shaping it in a circle.


As you are wrapping the flower, be sure to layer the second layer slightly on top of the layer below it in order to cover up your stitches.  When you get to the end, you can see that I just stitched the end piece down.  I saw this technique in a class I am taking at Craftsy.com.  If you are interested you can see the class details HERE.  (FYI...If you click on the link and purchase the class, I will receive a commission)

THE FOLDED STRIPE 

1. Take another piece of your spray painted fabric and cut to a width of 1" or however wide you would like your stripe.  Stitch the edges with a zigzag stitch all the way around to prevent the fraying.  Fraying won't be totally inhibited.  This pillow has a kind of frayed look and I like that.  It will fray a little up to the zigzag.

2. As you can see in the picture above, I then wrapped one end of the fabric around the edge of the outer fabric of the pillow.  You will next want to begin folding the fabric over on itself.  I wanted the folds to be about 1" apart.  Work your way all the way across, pinning as you go.  Fold the other end around to the back of the fabric you are working on.

3. It's now time to sew down your strip of fabric.  Use a straight stitch, sewing right along the edge.  Repeat with the other side of the strip.

That's it! I think this pillow and the String Art pillow would be nice on a bed.  I'll probably make another small pillow in order to have a set of 3. 


If you missed the other pillows in this series you can find them at the following links:



Comments

Popular Posts