Upcycled Blue Jean Camera Case-How to


 
Upcycled Blue Jean Camera Case

Well, I used my last piece of my cut-up blue jeans to make this little bag for my camera.  I don't know if you are like me, but I find myself throwing my camera inside my purse as I rush out the door.  I worry about it getting knocked around in there, so I decided to make something to protect it a little more AND be cute to look at too!

I started by drawing blue stars all over my blue jeans.  I tested the sharpie out on a scrap piece of blue jeans first.  I washed it in the sink and dried it and it did not smear at all.

I then decided to design my lining fabric with simple red stripes.

I then cut my outer fabric (the stars) and my lining fabric (the stripes) to the same size.  I chose 5.5" x 8.5".

I then ironed some Fusible Fleece to the WRONG side of both pieces of outer fabric.  I usually iron first and then cut the fleece to match the fabric I'm fusing it to.  I've been using this 100% Polyester fleece with all of the iPad Sleeves I've been making, and I really like how much cushion it gives to protect whatever will be inside.

Next, you need to face your outer material (with the attached fleece) RIGHT sides together and then sew around 3 sides, leaving the top open.  I used 1/4" seam allowance.


I like to cut off the corners and along the sides, as close to the stitches as possible to reduce bulk.  Be sure NOT to cut into your stitches.



Do the same thing to the striped inner lining: RIGHT sides together, sew around 3 sides using a 1/4" seam allowance.  BUT....the one difference for the lining (AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT OR YOUR BAG WILL BE MESSED UP) is that along the bottom you need to leave a small opening so that you can turn your bag inside out.  I usually try to leave a hole the size of my fist or a little smaller.  This bag was so small, though, that the entire bottom was about the side of my fist.  In the above/left picture I marked the area to leave an opening with double pins.


This is the size of opening that I left at the bottom.


At this point you can now turn your outer fabric right side out.  I use the little dowel to push our the corners.


 You will then attach a piece of elastic to one side of your bag (your back).  I usually use an elastic hair tie for this.  Place the elastic about 1/4" from the top.  Be sure your loop is pointed down.  Sew back and forth over the elastic until you feel it is secure.




Then, flip your bag over and attach a button to the front.  I just guesstimate where to put the button.  I use my sewing machine, but you could hand sew this if you like.  I personally try to avoid hand sewing at all cost.  :)



Now it is time to attach your lining to the outer star material.  The picture on the left shows how I slipped the lining fabric (still wrong side out) over the star fabric (now right side out).  Make sure your elastic is tucked down inside.  That is where it is supposed to be.

You will then begin to sew 1/4"  seam all the way around.  I accidentally sewed straight across-DON'T DO THAT!  In the right picture you can see where I took off the arm of my machine.  I was hoping to slide the bag around that piece and make a nice circle around the fabric.  The hole was too small, but determined to avoid hand-sewing, I managed to make it work.

This is where that hole at the bottom of the lining comes in.  You will pull the star fabric through that hole.



It should now look like this!


Push the lining into the bag.  WAIT!  You still have that little hole (in my case HUGE!) that needs to be sewn up.


Sew that puppy up and then stuff it into your bag and you are....

FINISHED! :)




Upcycled Blue Jean Camera Case

Thanks for stopping by!  If you are looking for a way to follow Gina's Craft Corner you can do that....
Here for facebook
Here for Twitter
Here for Pinterest
Or click on the BLOGLOVIN tab at the top of this blog.
OR just leave a COMMENT below.  I love comments!

~Blessings,
Gina

I will be linking up here...
The Dedicated House- Blue Friday 
Hope Studios

Comments

Popular Posts