How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder



How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder

I came across this next BEGINNER'S SEWING PROJECT when I was looking for a quick gift to make for a family friend.  This friend was like an Aunt to me and she had recently lost her husband, my dad's best friend.  At times like these it is hard to know what to say or what to do.  A little POCKET TISSUE HOLDER seemed like the perfect little gift to let her know she was in my thoughts.  I hope you like them.

I looked around for a good tutorial on how to make these and my favorite was from Observation Diary of Flowie.  What is fun about this project is that you can really make it your own and give it your own signature.  I had fun picking different types of fabric and using ribbon instead of twill tape.  Here are the basic steps.

Step 1) Cut your main fabric to 6.5" x 7.5"

Step 2) Fold the 6.5" edge over 3/8" to the wrong side and press (See image below)

How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder

Step 3.) Cut a piece of ribbon 6.5" long to attach to both of the 6.5" sides.  I used a matching thread and a zigzag stitch down the middle of the ribbon to secure the fabric. 


Step 4) Now, pick a ribbon that will show on the outside of the fabric.  Stitch it to the fabric.  I stitched the pink chevron ribbon along both sides of its edge. 


Step 5)  Fold the fabric wrong sides together towards the center.  You can have them meet evenly in the middle, or you can overlap them a little like I did in the picture below.  It's up to you.  I personally like the overlap

Step 6) Sew 1/4" from raw edge. 


 Step 7) Turn fabric wrong side out and sew 3/8" from the edge.

 Step 9) Turn right side out and you are finished!!  Wasn't that so easy??


In the picture below, you will see the first pouch I made.  As you can tell I did not use any ribbon on the outside.  I did use some left over scraps from a cut up zipper.  I loved the way the green contrasted with the pink.  I did not overlap the edges for this one.  So, if you like it being more open, then make sure to meet your edges perfectly in the middle in Step 5.

How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder



I really like this little cutie.  I love the fabric, probably because it is gray and pink.  I think most of my clothes are gray.  So boring..right?!  I think it is just a soothing color for me.  I really like the lace on the top and if you notice I used pink ribbon on the inside.  I want to point out the short edges.  You can see that it did not turn out very neat.  I'm not for sure what happened.  I would imagine my seam allowance was off in either Step 6 or Step 7.  The tissue holder I gave to my friend looked like this one.  Wouldn't something like this also be a nice gift for the mother of the bride?  I don't think my Mom cried during the wedding, but I know many who do.  :) I'm sure she cried at some point....uh...right Mom????  Mom?????

Lastly, here is a better look at the blue jean/chevron tissue holder.  I will be keeping this one for myself! The cold season is already here so you'd better whip one of these up fast!  I have been coughing and sneezing for the past 2 weeks and am now in LOVE with these little things!  It looks so more attractive than those little plastic pouches (actually some of them are pretty cute now-I might even fuse them!).  It is easier to get the tissue out of this little guy. 

I just love the little touch of color under the lip!

How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder




How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder

How to Sew a Pocket Tissue Holder

Thanks so much for stopping by!  If you like this BEGINNER'S SEWING PROJECT, you might also like to try your hand at these COASTERS.  These coasters are also a QUICK AND EASY GIFT IDEA.


If you like what you see I'd love for you to connect with me with any of the purple links on my sidebar.  Better yet, sign up to receive an e-mail every time I post.  I only post 1-2 times a week.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!
There is an awesome giveaway coming your way OCTOBER 28-NOVEMBER 20TH!  You could win an AMERICAN GIRL DOLL with a WARDROBE and ACCESSORIES!!  Don't miss it!!
 

Have a great day!

Blessings,
~Gina
 I WILL BE LINKING UP AT SOME OF THESE GREAT PARTIES!

Comments

Popular Posts