Friday, July 12, 2013

Back to the Farm: Relaxing & Refinishing

The girls and I always make a trip back to the farm every year around this time.  We stayed for 5 days and had a great visit with my parents.  While I was there, I dug up a few treasures.  I'm so excited to show you what I was working on while on the farm. 

First, in my Dad's workshop/barn, where he keeps a lot of old junk/treasures/wood scraps (I'm sure my Mom has another name for it all), I found this old desk.   I was SO excited, because my youngest daughter is starting school this year and I had not bought her one yet!  We homeschool, and her sister has a desk, so it's only fair that she has one too!  Her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and this was exactly what I wanted to get for her.  Thanks, Dad!

 I was able to get the legs painted and the top stained before I cam home.  But, it is still not finished.  I put on another coat of stain this morning.  The hardest party now is to keep this desk hidden from my daughter!  I'll write a post about this project in the next couple of days. 

The next treasure I found was this.....

 My Dad said it is from an old dresser of my Mom's.  I have plans for this, as well.  I'll share the finished product very soon.

The last 'treasures' the girls and I enjoyed this week....

My parents found 3 little newborn kittens abandoned by their mother.  I think I am missing a picture of one of the kitties.  My Mom is their mommy now, so she's very busy feeding them every few hours.  Hopefully they will survive.  I'll keep you posted. :)

I'll end this post with some pictures of the farm.  My Dad has lived on this farm all is life.  His Dad was a Dairy farmer and then my Dad took over the business.  It was such a nice place to grow up on.  I can appreciate it now, however, growing up on a dairy farm is not always fun.  There was a lot of hard work involved, but I am thankful for my parents and how hard they worked for me and my brother and sister. 

Milk Barn
Stanchion where the cows would be held during milking.  We would be on the other side down on the floor and the udder would be at eye level.  We could milk 5 at a time and we used electric milkers-THANK GOODNESS!

My Grandpa was called Buck.

The door where the cows would wait to enter the barn.  We had a big rope we would pull to slide that door open.  Quite a workout!

 This arbor was used at my wedding reception 14 years ago. :)

The girls and I spent a lot of time on this hammock this week!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE..LOVE...LOVE...comments from you! It truly makes my day! So, leave a comment AND your webpage or social media link and I will get back with you. Thanks in advance!!