GOODwill to Great Part 3: Upholstery Coasters



Ok!  Here is my 3rd upcycle project from my GOODwill to GREAT Series.  In case you missed my previous post, I came upon these swatches at my local Goodwill store for 50 cents each.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but could not pass up such a bargain.  I chose the fabric on the far left to work with today.


I admit, I struggled with what to do with this one, but settled on making some upholstery coasters.  I have been seeing a lot of fabric coasters lately, and figured upholstery would work just as well.





Upholstery Coasters
I had to show off this old MoorMans mug.  It belonged to my husband's grandparent's. 

Upholstery Coasters

 These little coasters would make such a nice housewarming gift, or coworker gift.  I'm thinking you could add in a mug and some hot cocoa mix.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Well, I thought these coasters seemed sort of manly, so I wanted to make some more for HER.  I used some leftover fabric scraps from the bag I made for a friend recently. If my sidebar had not disappeared, I COULD LINK UP THAT PROJECT RIGHT HERE!!!!!!    (Ugh!....Breathe........)  Okay, let's look at the pretty coasters and maybe that will help me relax a bit.


Fabric Coasters

 I used the same cotton material for the front and back.  In the middle I sandwiched some fleece, sewed right sides together, turned inside out, top stitched around the edge and then did some quilting lines all over. While I was quilting I realized that it would be more interesting if I quilted a different design on each one.  So, that is why they do not all match.  If I give these away as a gift I'll go back and make some more.

Fabric Coasters

Fabric Coasters


I am sorry about this blurred picture.  It also would have helped if I would have chose the side with more black on the front.  You really want to choose a contrasting thread color in order to see the neat quilting design.  I have practiced this design on paper a lot, but had never tried it with the machine.  I always assumed I would do free motion stitching with this design, but it actually worked really well just using a straight stitch. 

  


 Fabric Coasters

Fabric Coasters

Thanks for stopping by!  I do have plans for the last piece of fabric, but I probably won't get to it right away.   I am starting our Homeschool back up on Monday, so that will be taking up a lot more of my time.

You might be interested in...
Part 1: Upcycled Vintage Pillowcase Dress

Part 2: Upcycled Uphostery Clutch,    


You can follow me at  Bloglovin  Pinterest  Facebook 
  

Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
~Gina

THIS POST WAS FEATURED....



I'll be linking up to some of these great parties...
 SUNDAY

MONDAY
TUESDAY
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday 

Comments

Popular Posts